Dual Language Two-Way Program
Texas City ISD is excited to launch the Dual Language Two-Way program in August 2022. The program will begin with two Kindergarten classrooms with Bilingual teachers. Each classroom will have a maximum of 24 students with half of the student population being English native speakers and the other half being Spanish native speakers. This program will be located at Heights Elementary but students can be zoned to any of our six elementary schools. The program will add one grade level a year until the pilot kindergarten program students complete 5th grade. Yearly recruitment will take place from current pre-kindergarten students.
Timeline of Implementation
- 2022-2023 - Pilot Program kicks off with Kindergarten
- 2023-2024 - 1st Grade added
- 2024-2025 - 2nd Grade added
- 2025-2026 - 3rd Grade added
- 2026-2027 - 4th Grade added
- 2027-2028 - 5th Grade added
Students will qualify based upon district identification criteria: oral language proficiency, literacy and math assessments. Siblings of students attending the Dual Language Two-Way program will also be given priority to enter the program after the pilot year. Texas City ISD will provide the opportunity to transfer/enroll siblings at Heights Elementary School that do not participate in a Dual Language program. Transportation will be provided to students zoned to Heights Elementary only. Students not zoned at Heights Elementary School will need to provide their own transportation and complete the necessary transfer documents with the Student Data Department.
All students applying for the Dual Language program must be 5 years of age on or before September 1, 2022. Only incoming kindergarten students for the 2022-2023 school year will be accepted into the Dual Language Program. Students must score a 3 in their dominant language on the assessment and pass a screener test.
Steps for Applying
- Complete a Two-Way Dual Language Elementary Student Application online or download and turn in the application at Heights Elementary School located at 300 25th Street N. in Texas City.
- The parent of students applying must attend one of the informational meetings.
- January 27, 2022, at 6:00 p.m. at Calvin Vincent Early Childhood Center
- February 8, 2021, at 6:00 p.m. Heights Elementary School
- February 22, 2021, at 6:00 p.m. Hayley Elementary School
- Parents will be contacted to schedule a date and time for the placement test.
- Bring your child on the scheduled date to receive a placement test.
- Parents will be notified of student eligibility for the program via postal mail and email.
- Parents must sign a Dual Language Two-Way Program written parental participation approval and a commitment form.
Students who qualify but are not selected due to the number of slots will be placed on a waiting list. Parents will also be notified of their waiting list status via postal mail and email. It is the responsibility of the parent to follow up with the school or district office to ensure required documentation is provided to the school for placement in the program.