Early College High School
Texas City ISD is excited to launch the Early College High School program for incoming freshmen at both La Marque and Texas City high schools starting in August 2023.
The ECHS model is a blend of high school and college coursework that gives students the opportunity to earn up to 60 hours, or two years, of tuition-free college credit while earning a high school diploma. This model increases college readiness, provides rigorous instruction and coursework as well as academic and social support.
The program is open to all incoming 9th-grade students and specifically encourages participation by diverse student groups who are typically underrepresented in college courses. Interested students should possess a high level of commitment, academic tenacity and show the potential to do college-level work while in high school. The ECHS program embeds social/emotional supportive measures throughout the program to encourage young learners who have the potential to do advanced work.
Texas City ISD partners with College of the Mainland and the University of Houston Clear Lake for college credit, which is transferrable to any Texas public college or university. Texas City ISD students will benefit from this program at no cost. By providing high school students the option to earn an associate degree, or up to 60 hours of college credit from the ECHS at La Marque and Texas City high schools, families have the opportunity to decrease the burden of college debt and be a step ahead for their future.
Early College High School is open to all incoming 9th graders, and is designed to support students who:
- might be the first in their family to attend college.
- want to attend college but need a no-cost solution.
- are motivated to challenge themselves with in depth college-level course work.
- are comfortable in smaller classes focused on academics.
- are open to accept academic guidance from dedicated, collegiate teachers and professors.
- are interested in student-driven clubs and other activities.
- live in the Texas City Independent School District.
Applications will be accepted from current 8th graders zoned to Texas City ISD beginning in January 2023. Check back soon so you can graduate a step ahead!